Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Watch out for those bumps in the sidewalk



Several years ago I made a cake for Sarah's teachers' surprise birthday parties. The cake was made to look like the butterfly garden that the class tended, complete with dirt made from chocolate cookie crumbs and cute plants and flowers. Even a "path" made from shredded wheat crumbs.
As I was trying to sneak it in to school without the class seeing me out the windows, I tripped on a raised piece of sidewalk. Slow motion in my mind....I'm tripping, falling, but must save the cake....I ended up doing a volleyball fall and landing on my stomach. The cake gently hit the ground and slid away from me. Wow. Save! But no, the decorations had all slid off and now the cake was a lovely dirt garden. (Chocolate dirt, not real dirt!) Oh, no! What now? Can't bring in a plain cake....but wait! The cupcakes! I had decorated cupcakes to go along with the cake so there would be enough for everyone. I just put the cupcakes onthe cake an no one was the wiser. Cake and cupcakes were a hit.

Later on after school, I felt something a little weird. Like a cut or something, near my hipbone. I cent into the bathroom to check it out, and I had a 2 inch cut through my skin into the layer of fat. I guess keys are sharp. Note: do not carry keys in your pocket, especially when carrying a cake. Julia was so grossed out. Ooooh, fat! Hmmm, stitches might be needed.

Of course, Sarah was at play practice and Jon was out of town. I couldn't go to the doctor. Who would pick up Sarah or make dinner? Well, after I picked S up and got McD for dinner, I called my in-laws who were living in town at the time. Kids went there, I went to urgent care. Short wait, got examined. Had to tell the story several times. "What cut you?" Then the doctor said he had to go check something. Turns out that when they are giving stitches, there's a magic number. The magic number is how long you can wait to be stitched before too much bacteria get in and they won't do stitches. And he did not know the magic number for torsos. We might be past the time limit.

Apparently it was ok. I got stitches (NOT pleasant!) And I hardly ever carry my keys in my pocket anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment